Have pus pocket in throat. Having difficulty in swallowing. Chances of cancer?

Hi. I have what a doctor called white pus pockets at the very back of my throat (like inside my mouth and past the little ball hanging in my mouth; so not on the tonsils, but on the throat itself). They do not hurt. I have no other symptoms but a very very slight difficulty swallowing my own saliva. I am 21 and I smoked for 1 year but have quit for 3 weeks now. I also have dipped for 2 years but have quit that since yesterday. I also used to drink very heavy but have stopped that for several weeks now. There are two bumps that basically look like acne at the back of my throat, and then a couple of spots which are red raised areas. Is this cancer?
Posted Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The risk factors for developing cancer of the mouth and throat are:
(1) smoking- the risk is 5-6 to 1 however once a person stops smoking as you have, the risk falls significantly
(2) alcohol use
(3)low intake of fruits and vegetables
(4)certain virus such as the herpes virus

Usually it has the appearance of red and white patches with irregular surfaces.

It does not usually look like pustules and is normally seen in a much older age group, the median age is 62 yrs old.
You can monitor the lesions,if pustules they should resolve with a 1 to 2 week period.

hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions