Have pus filled lump below hairline on back of neck. Sore to touch. How to remove this?

ENT Specialist
I have a lump below the hairline on the right side of the back of my neck. It appeared literally overnight. I did notice that I had some scalp "bumps"...(small sores that eventually became scabs) just prior to noticing the lump. The lump is about the size of a quarter and seems filled with fluid. It has been sore to the touch. This came up just this past weekend.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 27 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most likely cause for such a lump to appear overnight will be an enlarged lymph node due to a scalp infection.

2. Get it examined by a local physician (as the physical appearance will help diagnose it better) and get a USG (Ultrasound) of the Neck. If there is still some doubt, an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) will settle the issue. There are other possible lumps such as cysts and lipomas.

3. Posterior triangle lymph nodes are not considered XXXXXXX Get your scalp examined by a Skin Specialist.

4. Your physician may start medication for a few days and then depending upon the response, plan further investigation and treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.