Have pus filled boils. What should I do for cure?

I have a boil that will not completely go away. It drains with a very bad smell and then about a week later it returns. What should I do? It's on my bikini line.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Boils start off as infection of the hair follicles that spread to involve surrounding structures.
Normally they respond to home treatment which is the application of heat to encourage drainage as well a antiseptic cleaning.
In some cases however, pockets of pus remain after drainage has occurred and these pockets would then encourage future boil formation.

In that instance , you may need to consult your doctor. He or she would incise the area, breaking down any remaining pockets of pus that are remaining, a swab to determine the exact bacteria involve may be taken and you may be given a course of oral antibiotics to complete to reduce the chances of recurrence further.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have pus filled boils. What should I do for cure? 12 hours later
I don't have health insurance what kind of doctor should I see and how much do you think it will cost?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
A general practitioner or family doctor will be able to treat you if this is the most cost effective avenue. This can cost up to $150.00.
In some places, there are free clinics available.
I believe, speaking under correction, that you can go to your local medicaid office to see if you qualify for reduced or lower cost care

I hope this helps

Please feel free to ask any other questions