Have purple blotchy arms, legs and feet, upper respiratory infection and pharyngitis. What to do?

My 15 yr old son has purple blotchy arms and legs and feet. He has been sick for 3 days now with an upper respiratory infection and pharyngitis. What do yo suppose we do?
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I would have appreciated if you would have uploaded a photograph of the purple blotches that you are mentioning by using the facility provided on this site. That would facilitate me in guiding you better.

Following upper respiratory infection and pharyngitis, at times the infection can spread through the blood and cause problems as mentioned by you. I would suggest that you get him examined by your doctor who may order the following basic investigations and guide you thereafter:
1. Haemogram
2. Throat swab culture and sensitivity
3. Blood culture and sensitivity
4. C Reactive Protein
5. Urine routine

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of this case.