Have puritus. Noticed flat purple spots in perianal area. Feeling uncomfortable and irritated. Using Vytone. Due to stress?

I have puritus ani, and think have had it for years. Im Under some extreme work stress which I think caused this go flare up and get very uncomfortable. I'm treating with a dermatologist and using Vytone and some other creams. I was examining myself to assess my progress and I am still red and irritated. I think my wine and tea consumption are contributing to the problem so mI have cut them out starting yesterday. I noticed some flat purple spots in my perianal area. Could those be old or healed external hemorrhoids? Is stress a contributing factor for pruitus ani?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 1 hour later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.

Stress is known to cause/ worsen psychogenic itching. So it may flare up your pruritus ani.

It seems that you might have mild infection over skin of that part as it is red and irritated. Ifection may came from your scatching also.

Purplish spots you see might be healed abrasions out of pruritus rather then hemorrhoids. You may confirm by expert examination by surgeon. You should also rule out diabetes also.

For stress, you may consult psychiatrist or counselor for stress management.

Doctor may advise you to go for counselling or may offer medication if you have anxiety or depression.
You may get benefit by self relaxation techniques like breathing exercise or yoga for the same.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have any query.