Ask a Dentist   »  

Have punctured the top of the mouth, getting bleeding. Risk of any infection?

I bit into the seed of a nectarine yesterday, about 30 hours ago. It punctured the top of my mouth, behind but close to the front teeth. At first, there was some bleeding which then lessened but it still bleeds whenever eating or even drinking.
As the seed includes wooden bits which stick out, could a wooden particle have lodged in the wound explaining the easy bleeding and what steps could be taken to see if that has happened or should I just wait for the bleeding to stop. I am not sure how XXXXXXX the cut is. Could there be a risk of infection if a wood particle is lodged there and will it be absorbed by the body eventually? I know that fish bones can be absorbed by the body but am not sure about wooden particles.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing your query to us.

Since you have punctured the top of the mouth, it is advisable that you have liquid or soft diet for 1-2 days. Let the wound heal. Repeated injury due to eating solid food items can cause bleeding again & will delay the healing process.Increase your intake of Vitamin C in your diet that will help in healing of wound. If there is active bleeding apply ice pack locally that will stop the bleeding. Rinse your mouth every time you eat or drink something to prevention infection. Any open wound can be a source of infection so you need to take proper care of the wound.

Visit your nearby doctor so that he will examine you clinically & find out if the seed particles are present inside the wound or not & also check if there is any infection at the site of the injury. Its better to remove any foreign body from the site of the wound if possible rather than wait for it to get absorbed.

You also need to take injection for tetanus as you had a XXXXXXX cut which was bleeding. Take care.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further doubt, I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Have punctured the top of the mouth, getting bleeding. Risk of any infection? 1 hour later

Thanks for the advice. I have had a tetanus shot about a year ago and that lasts for 10 years, I understand. I will also attempt to eat softer foods and will see a doctor if the wound continues to bleed.
Would it be correct to say that this wound should be painful if infected?

Yes, Infected wounds are painful. Repeated trauma on the wound can also cause pain & delay the healing process. Any break in the continuity of skin or mucus membrane( inside mouth) provides an opportunity for bacteria to enter the wound & multiply. Whether it will develop an infection or not depends on person’s ability to resist infection.

Pain and soreness can indicate that a wound is infected. Infected wounds may also ooze with pus and other types of discharge. Infected wounds may emit a foul odour.

Redness and heat are signs of wound infection that occur as a result of inflammation. Even wounds that are not infected use inflammation as a means of healing the affected tissues. Inflammation helps to break down damaged cells so that they can be removed from the body. It also stimulates the production of new cells and small blood vessels.

Kindly consult your treating physician so that he can assess the wound & advise you accordingly.
Follow-up: Have punctured the top of the mouth, getting bleeding. Risk of any infection? 49 minutes later
Thanks for the detailed information and I will consult the physician if the wound does not heal soon.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later
Ok.Take care.