Have psoriasis on head, legs and arms. Will this be cured by turmeric?

Hi,I have read your article on the harmful effects of skin inflammation and the benefits which turmeric brings. I have psoriasis on my head legs and arms for a long time. Does this herb deal with my ailment? Thanks XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Psoriasis
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 2 hours later
Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition the most important symptoms of the disease being inflammation and skin outbreaks.

Recent research does show that Curcumin (chemical present in turmeric) is best for blocking the activity of enzymes as well as other molecules which participate in inflammatory reactions associated with psoriasis. Thus many sufferers use it as a means of alleviating their symptoms.

It can be taken in pill or supplement form, or mixed into food. One of the best ways to take it is in the form of a multi-ingredient nutraceutical instead of taking as one ingredient capsule. It is only because multi agents combine together to work effectively and it has good effect than single ingredient. One must have formulation such as piperine that can result in best absorption of the powerful ingredient into the blood stream.

Avoid self mediacting yourself, kindly consult dermatologist regarding this treatment option.

I am happy to further queries in this regard.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD