Have pseudomonas infection in sinus. History of MRSA infection, cough, colored sputum, pneumonia. Need direction

ENT Specialist
My wife has been diagnosed with pseudomonas infection in the sinuses. She has constant sinus infections. Last year it was MRSA as the diagnosis. She goes through the IV treatments for several days. Stays well about six weeks. Cough returns with colored sputum that eventually leads to pneumonia. Same process two months ago but this diagnosis was pseudomonas. The ENT wants her to see the same infectious disease doctor she saw with the MRSA. His treatment was to decolonize the home with bleach, bleach baths, etc. which we did for several days. The MRSA returned about two months later. Think the ENT, pulmonary and primary care doctor are missing something. Any direction we can go would be helpful. We live in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Beach, Fl.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 6 hours later

I understand your wife infection is a recurring problem. Has she been operated for sinus disease?
If not then you can discuss with your doctor for that.

Based on your wife's current condition, I suggest the following options:

1. There are Balloon Sinuplasty surgeries where there is minimal trauma to the tissue and the sinus openings are dilated or widened so that there drainage is maintained and wash can be given to the sinuses at that same time so that if there is any infection then it can be cleared.
Bacteria which is infecting the sinuses form biofilms, like a protective layer on themselves so that normal antibiotics and nasal sprays can not reach and damage them. In such conditions we need to remove them surgically by limited surgery like the Balloon Sinuplasty and sinus wash - this is the best local treatment which can be given without giving heavy antibiotics.

The procedure can be done as day care procedure. At the age of 71, other high end surgeries can not be done since they require General anesthesia for longer time. You can discuss with your doctor for this surgery.

2. She will require regular nasal wash with saline sprays. A nasal spray you can make at home is ---which I suggest to my patients----
Take 500 ml of clean water then put half teaspoonful of table salt in it and 2 tsf of baking soda in it and then use it for nasal wash. For nasal wash if you do not get the proper plastic bulb then a 10 ml syringe without needle can be used.

3. Get done her blood sugars checked as sometimes due to poor immunity like in Diabetes recurrent infection occurs.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.