Ask a Urologist   »  

Have prostatitis. Noticed burning sensation in penis. Have spondylolisthesis. Cause?

General Surgeon
I have had BPH or prostatitis for years, and it has been well under control via natural supplements. I noticed my symptoms returning a couple of months ago, after I had been negligent in taking my supplements for a couple of months, I have resumed the supplements, and my urination flow has has improved markedly, but I have started having a burning sensation in my penis, ONLY on erection. It subsides afterwards, and I have no discomfort. It is sometimes almost gone. E.g. I will have a pretty normal erection, no problem achieving same, Even when having burning sensation, my erections are strong. I also have spondylolisthesis of L4/L5. Could either of these conditions be causing my symptoms?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Few investigations are needed to opine

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

It is good to know that you have controlled the symptoms of BPH with the help of natural supplements for so many years. Of course now a days medicines are also available which are successful in controlling the symptoms of BPH for quite some time,but operation is indicated when the symptoms are severe enough and not responding to these treatment.

The burning sensation in your penis even though only on erection could be due a infection in urine or prostate itself. If I were your treating doctor, I would advise you for a urine routine and culture sensitivity test, a semen analysis with culture and sensitivity test and also a PSA(Prostate Specific Antigen) test specially in patients of your age group. In addition, all routine tests including a blood sugar test would also be advised. An pre and post void ultrasound of bladder and prostate would let us know if there is any significant residual urine, which may precipitate any new or pre existing silent oral liquids in your diet. You may continue your natural supplements as well as before.

No, I do not consider the spondylolisthesis of L4/L5 has any relationship in causing your symptoms. The strong erections of yours is an evidence that the neural mechanisms are intact and there is no pressure anywhere on the nerves.

I hope I have replied to your present queries. If you have any other doubt, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for using XXXXXXX forum for clearing your health query. Good luck.