Have problems with patella sliding out of place in knee. Not cured by physical therapy. Any cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have major problems with my patella sliding out of place in my left knee. I have done physical therapy 3 different times to strengthen my quadriceps. My quad is stronger but the problem is not resolved, if anything it has gotten slightly worse. I had arthoscopic surgery in December of 2011, where they removed excess cartilage from my knee. The problem seemed to go away until i resumed sports, now I am back to where i was in the beginning as far as pain and sliding out is concerned. I have also had 2 MRIs and they both came back clear. I dont know what to do about this situation but if it needs fixing now would be the time.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 53 minutes later
hello,

You might be suffering from recurrent patellar subluxation.

If subluxation of patella continues despite nonoperative treatment like physiotherapy(Quadriceps setting exercises, Closed chain exercises), surgery is indicated.

So discuss with your orthopaedician about surgical options like-

* Lateral retinacular release
*Repair of medial patellofemoral ligament and vastus medialis.
*Proximal extensor realignment.
*Distal extensor realignment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have problems with patella sliding out of place in knee. Not cured by physical therapy. Any cure? 8 hours later
I have sharp pains the inside of my knee and it swells randomly sometimes

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Sharp pain inside of your knee might be due to torn medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) which occurs during a traumatic patellar dislocation or due to development of patellofemoral arthritis which is ultimetaly a frequent sequellae to patellar dislocation.

So discuss with your orthopaedician regarding these possibilities also.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.