Have problem with upper cartilage of nostril and breathing discomfort. Looking for advice

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor,

I am a healthy 33 year old male. Since a long time, I have a problem with upper cartilage of my left nostril. The cartilage is bent due to which one of my left nostril tends to be get shut. A doctor whom i visited long back, 15 years or so, had suggested a surgery, though he said it is not a must. I did not undergo the said surgery.
I push the cartilage manually, which gives me some breathing comfort for some time. However the cartilage again ends up choking my nostril.
Also, lately I have figured that if I try to breathe only with this particular nostril (by keeping the other nostril shut), I am unable to smell objects.
There is no problem with my other nostril.

Request your advice.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 3 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis ofthe information provided it appears that you have deformity of the cartilage of nose. As it is causing nasal obstruction and a recent onset inability to smell it appears ther may be an obstruction in nose ( e.g. Deviated nasal septum, nasal polyps)which is hampering the ventilation of upper part of nose (where the fibres of olfaction are present).

I would suggest you a ENT consultation and a CT scan of paranasal sinuses. It appears that you will require surgical intervention. I can help you further if you an send me CT scan images.

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you need more information

with regards
Ravinder Sharma