Have problem of irregular period but has not got periods. Suggest medicine?

Question
Hi doctor !! I'm xxxx , my wife is having irregular period. Since 60 days her period has not been occurred. What medicine can she take now to regularise her period. She is 5ft4inch , age is 39 and weight is 75 kgs. Please advice as early as possible.

Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She needs investigation for proper treatment.

Detailed Answer:

If your wife is not on any contraception, the first thing to be excluded is pregnancy. Else, the causes of irregular periods are several and a thorough examination and investigation is needed to know the exact cause and treat.

I would ask you to take her to a gynecologist, get a complete evaluation, blood counts, hormonal profile, sonogram and urinalysis. Weight disturbances, hormonal imbalances, stress, certain medications and infections can cause irregular periods.

Treatment is based on the specific cause isolated. If there are hormonal imbalances, prescription of hormones is sufficient. If there are ovarian cysts, treatment should be targeted toward treating them. Insulin resistance can be treated by Metformin while hyperprolactinemia can be treated by Bromocryptine and so on.

She is slightly on the higher side of BMI and this needs to be corrected. Some form of regular exercise, healthy diet, avoidance of stress go a long way in the management.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.