Ask a Urologist   »  

Have problem inability to control urine. Suggest surgical procedure?

I would like to know- since I can't control my urine, sometime If I am not near a rest room I am in trouble. Is there a surgical procedure or something else to help this?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. David Okia 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on cause, some cases can be treated

Detailed Answer:

The answer to your question depends on the cause of your in ability to control urine.

I usually take detailed history from my patients with such complains, in history I would want to know if you have had history of trauma, problems with your prostate, urethral sphincters and bladder. This history taking is followed by series of investigation like abdominal pelvic ultrasound, X-ray, CT. Once the cause is known then medical or surgical intervention will be taken and some of my patients have improved after surgical interventions.

I recommend you see urologist to examine you, find the cause and from my experience many causes can be managed how ever in some cases like in advanced cancer of prostate much cant be done to restore ability to control urine, especially if nerve supply is affected.

Hope I answered your question, if you have more queries I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Have problem inability to control urine. Suggest surgical procedure? 5 hours later
What are the symptoms of a fallen bladder? Also, I am not having any female problems so that is why I think it is bladder control problems. I know when we ladies get older there are incontinence problems. I just didn't expect it to be so bad that I couldn't hold it before I can hardly get to the bathroom.
Answered by Dr. David Okia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fallen bladder symptom include stress incontinence

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query

Fallen bladder symptoms in my patients include stress incontinence which is leaking of urine when laughing or coughing, difficulty in completely emptying the bladder. Other symptoms I have noted include pelvic pain, bulging vagina and frequent and pain full micturition.

I usually like to explain to my patients what is happening, I hope you don't mind if I do the same here: In fallen bladder, the wall between the bladder and vagina becomes weak; so the bladder falls on vagina that explains the above symptoms. Causes are associated with complicated child birth, normal aging and menopause.

Good news is fallen bladder can be corrected surgically.

So I urge you to visit your doctor, a gynecologist preferably for detailed clinical examination and evaluation. A treatment is available.

Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have more questions