Have problem above left eyelid. Like Cherry Angioma. What could be the cause?

Dec 2013

Dear Doctor, I need your help. My wife has some problem above her left eyelid , seems like something known as " Cherry Angioma " has occured. Some 3 weeks back a laser technique was performed and this was removed however this is back again. And same skin specialist says to get it removed again via laser technique. My concern he too doesn't know the cause however he said it could be due to post pregnancy ( as my wife has delivered the baby some 6 months back ). Could you help ?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Discuss about radio-frequency ablation

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

I have gone through the picture sent by you and the history provided. After reviewing all the things with diligence I can say that your doctor is correct in his diagnosis and part of treatment.

The lesion present on the eyelid is basically angioma. Now the part of treatment of laser was also correct. It is now a days ablated by lasers.

This is basically proliferation of underlying blood vessels or lymph vessels. It can definitely occur post-pregnancy due to more availability of multiples of hormones. So your doctor is very much right in his complete clinical sense.

Most of the times it never come back after ablation. But after ablation if the proliferated tissue remains then there is a chance of recurrence. The same thing happened in your wife's case too where after ablation the remaining tissue proliferated again. This might be due to the fact that eye lid is very thin skin so on the part of safety the doctor must have tried to do it bit superficially.

SO do not worry about recurrence and further treatment. But it would be more better if it can be done by simple radio-frequency ablation or electro-cautery which are simpler and more safer options.

You can discuss mainly for radio-frequency ablation of the angioma. I am suggesting for ablation for sake of cosmetic appearance of the area. Other wise if it would had been present on covered area then there was no need of the same. This never pose any future problem and is a totally benign growth. SO do not worry.

I hope you must be relaxed now. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you.

With good health wishes,

Dr Sanjay
MD Dermatology