Have primary sclerosing cholangitis, mild Thrombocytopenia and signs of thrombosis. On urso, propranolol. Help?

Hi, I have primary sclerosing cholangitis and mild Thrombocytopenia. I have had two DVT,s and signs of previous thrombosis in the portal and splenic veins and abdominal area showing on MRI scan. I am taking urso, propranolol. Also taking tinzaparin. Have been on these drugs for 6 mths. I had a 6 monthly check on my varices that were previously grade 2 varices x4. But now are showing signs for bleeding. They banded one varices with 7 bands yesterday and have to go back another twice for the remainder. I would appreciate you giving me some indication on how my lifestyle will be affected, ie, sports,hiking etc and a rough prognosis. Kind regards, XXXXXXX
PS, and any other info and advice you can give me that might be some help!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 18 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
Primary sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC) is an autoimmune disorder affecting the bile ducts. It can be associated with other autoimmune disorders like thyroiditis, ulcerative colitis, scleritis and arthritis. Over years PSC can progress to cirrhosis. Thrombocytopenia and varices in your case suggests portal hypertension and cirrhosis. Cirrhosis also goes through stages like A, B, and C depending on the number of decompensations like ascites, jaundice, low albumin, altered sensorium and poor coaguability. Once decompensation starts it is better to enroll for transplantation as there are no effective medications to cure PSC.
Though DVT can occur in PSC such extensive DVT is rare in PSC. Hence look at other causes of a hypercoaguable states
Rest there is no restriction of physical activity provided you have the energy for it. Exercise helps you to have a better lipid profile and will give you a sense of well being.
Other than these You have to be on B - blockers, salt restricted diet, fat soluble vitamin supplements, calcium supplements and watch for signs of decompensation