Have post polio syndrome. How long it takes to cure?

I have post polio syndrome & do not know when it will finish ravishimg my body. I would like some input to help.
I am 83 yrs old
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 39 minutes later

Thank you for writing to us.

The duration and course of the disease depends entirely on the area affected and the type. We need to find out if there is any brain or spinal cord involvement, if not, then complete recovery takes place within a few weeks. If there is involvement of the brain and spinal cord, this could be a life long problem.

Treatment is also symptomatic, and involves treating pain (painkillers other than those which can depress the respiratory system, avoid narcotics); antibiotics for infections; moist heat pads for muscular spasms and pains; physiotherapy, etc.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for further information or clarifications. I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes ma'am.
Follow-up: Have post polio syndrome. How long it takes to cure? 4 days later
Thank you for this report. As to whether the spinal cord was effected I guess it must be as I have very bad muscle & nerve pain. My left side takes all the strain. If you could advise on a painkiller?
I have been taking Digesic which worked well but gave me swollen feet. I have no heart problems. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 56 minutes later
Hello one again XXXXXXX

Pain killers like diclofenac and aceclofenac are usually used in topical (gel) or tablet form to treat muscular, vascular or bone related pain.

It is my kind and sincere request for you to visit a doctor at the earliest, to help give you relief from your symptoms and prevent any dangerous/adverse outcomes.

I hope this information helps. I wish you a long and trouble free life. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.