Have post nasal drip, swollen glands and swollen tongue. What can be done?

I have post nasal drip, swollen glands and feels like a swollen tongue...
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 8 days later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

The symptoms you have enumerated without any medication history would be tough for me to interpret. Can you send me all the list of drugs including those you are on for hypertension and hypercholesterolemia for a better opinion.

Post nasal drip and swollen glands especially the tonsils in the mouth are indicative of an ongoing infection or inflammation or both. The swollen tongue albeit adds to the list, but has other reasons as well like some nutritional deficiencies and drug related causes to begin with.

Meanwhile, a good salt water or iodine mouth gargle would do good to keep the mouth comfortable. You could do this several times in a day. The Iodine mouth gargle is available over the counter and would need appropriate dilution in water. Both of above would need lukewarm water to perform.

If you are facing these since a while, then you would need good clinical evaluation and some prescription antibiotics if an infection has been confirmed.

It would help me if you elaborate in detail about all the symptoms you are currently facing like fever, chills etc.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.