Have positive speckled 1:320 and then negative and again positive. Suggested Lupus. Concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I need a rhuemologist help. I have had a postive XXXXXXX speckled 1:320 in 2011 and negative about 1 month after then again positive speckled 1:160 (lower) and then negative . And now it's postive again at 1:160. I have pains in my calfskin for over 2 months and achy pains all over etc. No fevers , no sores, no butterfly rash . I went to rheumologist on Monday he said he thinks it's lupus because I had a cardiolipid done it was boderline and said they usually go hand in hand. But he repeated it days later negative ? And now hematologist is doing those labs again. I am not so sure I have lupus sounds like fibrolmyglia . I have a lot of labs etc done please advise .kidney function land were normal. It's seems I have all the aches and pain . Being that my tiger is 1:160 is this definite lupus ?? Please help me I don't want to have lupus and have gone untreated for Years.
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Such low XXXXXXX titre is not diagnostic of lupus.

Detailed Answer:
The XXXXXXX titre at 1:160 is a very low titre and it alone is not suggestive of lupus. For diagnosis, other clinical symptoms should also be present.
These low titres can be seen in infections, cancer, lung diseases, gastrointestinal diseases, hormonal diseases, blood diseases, skin diseases, and in elderly people or people with a family history of rheumatic disease. Antinuclear antibodies are actually found in about 5% of the normal population, too.
The pains all over the body that you are having can be due to fibromyalgia or polyarthritis. Taking proper pain killers and doing a hot fomentation will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have positive speckled 1:320 and then negative and again positive. Suggested Lupus. Concerned? 1 hour later
Thank you for your response . I had 2 positive XXXXXXX at 1:640 and 2 negative all other labs normal. Worried

I just don't know what else I can do to make sure it's a correct diagnosis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
1:640 is an extremely weakly positive test.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
1:640 is an extremely weakly positive test and is not clinically significant. Since your all other lab test are normal, it is less likely to be lupus.
Lupus is a clinical diagnosis. To confirm the diagnosis, you can take a second opinion of another rheumatologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.