Have popping pimple on neck. What treatment should be done?

I have a pimple or something like it on my neck, I can pop it, barely and get it to drain if only a little bit and it smells very bad. Is there a treatment that doesn't require seeing a doctor? The shortest wait for a dermatologist in my city is three months.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 29 minutes later

I understand your concern; it looks like you have a focal skin infection. Few things which you can try on your own to help this resolve are-
1. If the pimple is very small and causing no problems, just keep the area clean by using soap.
2. You can try local antibiotic cream on the pimple/abscess if it is small and associated with pain and redness.
3. If it becomes larger in size then drain it with all aseptic precautions. But if there is pain then take oral analgesics and if it becomes large, tender and painful then consider a course of oral antibiotics. Your local healthcare provider can prescribe these medications.

You may consider consulting a dermatologist after 3 months for medications to prevent recurrence.

Hope this answers your question. Please ask if there are doubts.