Have poor ovarian reserve. Planning for IVF procedure. What are the risk?

Excellent

Question
Hi
Got married recently (3 months b4) .. on a general visit to doctor found that i'm having a poor ovarian reserve and we might take up IVF path. I'm 31 yrs now. I'm really worried for the health and the future. Please help me with the information. We are in a XXXXXXX stress,

1) Can some one please explain the risks involved in IVF. ? Both for baby and myself? Blogs in internet point to lot of issues. We are really worried.
2) My AMH is found to 0.4 and FSH 11.5 with anatral count just 2 this month :( Last month it was 6 . And a month before 4..... Can i become pregnent atleast by IVF ? how much chances i have. ?
3) can i have a second kid after 1-2 yrs ? will i have eggs even after 1-2 yrs.? Will i reach menopause before :(?
XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 minutes later

I will try answering your questions one by one:

1)     Firstly regarding the side effects of IVF, Ovary stimulation carries the risk of hyperstimulation, where the ovaries become swollen and painful. This condition, “Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome” which can cause nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, or a feeling of being bloated. Egg retrieval and the use of laparoscopy carry the typical risks associated with receiving anesthesia. The chance of a multiples pregnancy is increased in all assisted reproductive procedures and there are increased chances of premature delivery.

2)     The number of eggs retrieved correlates with IVF success rates and antral count of less than 4 means extremely low count with very poor (or no) response to stimulation. Hence cycle cancellation is likely. You are likely to need high doses of FSH product to stimulate ovaries adequately. You can discuss about the option of injectable FSH.

3)     Since you are 31 now, after two years the antral count may decrease further which may hamper IVF. However count cannot be predicted now and chances of conception by IVF depends on the antral follicle count after two years. You may have premature menopause and its chances are more with advancing age.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Have poor ovarian reserve. Planning for IVF procedure. What are the risk? 4 minutes later
Thanks doctor for replying..

1) So do u mean there is no Long term side affects like i have heard of blood vessels issue with baby, increased risk of cancer etc .... Highly worried as all these are mentioned in blogs.

2) Can i concieve via IVF atleast at this stage ? Atleast one kid. Wanted to know how much is it possible. What should i do.

3) I'm taking Wheat grass powder from 1 week. any thing else should i do ?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 days later

Thanks for writing back to me.

1) The long-term effects of IVF on a woman's health are still unclear. Recent research suggests that for children conceived through IVF, the risk of problems at the time of birth, such as congenital abnormalities appears to be a little higher. Heart problems or cerebral palsy, may be increased in a child that has been conceived with assisted reproduction but this is still to be proved.

2) You should regularly follow up with your doctor regarding the success of IVF as it depends on many factors including the antral count.

3) You may need Clomid and FSH injections for which you should consult your doctor. Any other medicine or herbal rug should be taken only after a doctor's consultation.