Have polymyalgia rheumatica. Sore knots appeared on scalp. Symptom of connective tissue disease?

I have been diagonised with mixed connective tissue disease this past week, first I was told I had polymalgia rehumatica. I also am experiencing knots that form on my head/scalp that are sore to touch, but go away & return within a few weeks, is this the symptom of connective tissue disease or could this be something else? My C Reative Proten, Quant is 11.2
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 4 hours later

You need to tell me what symptoms have led to the diagnosis of mixed like to know a brief history of the symptoms to comment more specifically.

Knots on your head are generally not related but could be related to the inflammation in the body.

Secondly, do you have any other skin or hair related problems?

Please write a bit in detail so that I can help you better.

Follow-up: Have polymyalgia rheumatica. Sore knots appeared on scalp. Symptom of connective tissue disease? 2 hours later
My Rheumatologist had me take blood test. Prior to seeing My Rheumy, my medical doctor said I had polymalgia rehumatica in May 2011 & put me on steroids started at 20 mg per day, now I am on 5mg per day
if I could attach the report, I would send to you, below is the result of the tests.

Test ordered: CBC w differential/platelet, Comp. Metabolic Panel (14); Rheumatoid Arthritis profile, XXXXXXX Sed Rate Westergren, c-Reative Protein Quant & Venipuncture.

A/G Ratio score was 1.0 (low)
ALT score was 44 (high)
Speckled Pattern >1:1280 Abnormal

RNP Antibodies >8.0 (high)
Smtih Antibodies 1.0 (high)
Antichromatin Antibodies 3.1 (high)

Antinuclear Anitibody Direct - SLE Mixed Connective tissue Diseases
DsDNA -SLE 40-60%
Chromatin-Drug Induced SLE 90%, SLE 48-97%
SSA (RO) - SLE 25-35%, Sjogrens Syndrome 40-70%,Neonatal Lupus 100%
SSB (La) - SLE 10%, Sjogrens Syndrome 30%
SM (anti-Smith) SLE 15-30%
RNP - Mixed Connective Tissue Disease - 95%
u1 nRNP - SLE 30-50%
anti ribonucleoprotein - Polymyositis and or Dermatomyositis 20%
SCl-70 (anti ribonucleoprptein) Scleroderma diffuse 20-35%, Crest 13%
Jo-1 Polymyositis and/or Dermatomyositis 20-40%
Centromere B - Scleroderma - Crest variant 80%

Just need to know exactly what my overlapping diseases are & are the knots/lumps on my head that come and go because of these or should I be looking at something else?

Thank you so much for replying.

Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 3 hours later

Thanks for your detailed follow up question.

Seeing your high antibodies like XXXXXXX it is definite that you are suffering from an autoimmune problem.
And you have also been on steroids. The problems which are generally related to this are joint pains, skin rash, photosensitivity, raynauds phenomenon, myositis etc. Knots on the head are not related to this condition. So it is better to get examined by your family physician to see if any local causes are there for the knots.

Hope I had been able to clear your doubts. Let me know if you need any further clarification. I would be happy to explain.