Have polycystic ovary, abdominal pain, breast pain and noticed shape change in areola. Any thoughts?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi my breasts have been in so much pain lately. Especially on the sides. I noticed my areolas changing shape. What could this be? I have cramps in my stomach and have been either constipated or diarrhea. I've been sleeping so much. I thought maybe I could be pregnant but I had CIN 2-3 on my cervix and have a polycystic ovary with more then 14 cysts so thought chances of that happening could be harder then normal. Please give me any thoughts you might have on this.
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 26 minutes later

Poly cystic ovary disease can affect the menstrual cycle and ovulation.
But with treatment and sometimes spontaneously also ovulation can occur and pregnancy is possible.
Usually treatment to CIN will not affect the cervical opening through which the sperm passes, so pregnancy is possible.
If you crossed the expected date of menstruation go for pregnancy test once.
If the test comes negative consult gynecologist and go for symptomatic treatment for breast pain.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have polycystic ovary, abdominal pain, breast pain and noticed shape change in areola. Any thoughts? 17 minutes later
No I haven't passed my menstruation date. It's due the 20th. But it's the sharp stabbing pains along with gas that are worrying me more then the sore breasts. They are uncomfortable to sleep but sore breasts and polycystic ovary don't necessarily mean that I would be getting these stomach pains bloating tiredness and gas do they? It feels like my stomach is puffing up like a balloon. My areolas are darker then usual as well and the sweat glands on them are more prominent then they have ever been. It's been 7 days straight I've had these pains. Unsettled sleep patterns. Waking up early/ not being able to get to sleep at night/ tired to the point I need a nap in the afternoons. I'm constantly thirsty. I have pimples on my face where I never usually get them. I have also had symptoms of thrush with cottage cheese like discharge dry itchy skin around vagina. It has settled down now but it has been 10 days since I have been ovulating on the 2nd. Does this still mean I should just get a pregnancy test or wait a bit? The cramps and sore breasts ate becoming unbearable

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

Pain in the breasts, areolas becoming darker and sweat glands getting prominent etc symptoms and signs can be seen in early pregnancy.
And sometimes can also be seen in cases of hormonal fluctuation, usage of contraceptive pills etc.
As you are telling that you are having all these symptoms before ovulation itself, there could be some other cause for it.
So, you better consult gynecologist and go for physical examination and ultrasound to find out the possible cause for your problem. If needed she may advice to go for hormonal evaluation, with this primary workup the possible cause for your problem can be sort-out and treatment can be given accordingly.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have polycystic ovary, abdominal pain, breast pain and noticed shape change in areola. Any thoughts? 4 hours later
Thank you I will go see my doctor this week. I have passed ovulation. My last period was last month on the 22nd December. And according to the ovulation calculator I should have been ovulating around the 1-3 if I'm correct?
Thank you so much for your help!
:)
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
In case of regular 28 to 30 days cycle the ovulation will usually occur around 14th to 16th day, means between 5th XXXXXXX to 7th XXXXXXX in your case.
If conception occurs at the time of ovulation, the symptoms of pregnancy will usually appear one week after conception.
So as these days are not correlating with the period of your symptoms better to rule out other possible causes. Hopefully your doctor can make out the cause for your problem.