Have polio in both legs. Legs swelling up and are red in color. Cure?

i have had polio in both legs since child of 6 I am now 64 the thing is I an now in wheelchair and both my legs are swelling up and re in colour what can I do to try and reduce it
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
venous disease may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Swelling and increased redness of both lower limbs can be due different possible causes: (1)venous disease- this is a common cause of bilateral swelling. The limbs have two sets of veins. There are superficial veins just below the skin and these are connected to deeper veins by valves, it then goes up to the heart.

The valves only allow the blood to flow from the superficial to the deep veins.
AS persons age these valves may not work as they should and as a result blood accumulates in the limbs.

Veins may be prominent in the legs and also the swelling is usually not present in the morning after lying with the feet up during the night but builds up during the course of the day.

(2) infection- cellulitis can occur in the lower limbs however this is unlikely to involve both lower limbs and there would also be a history of fever in most persons

(3) heart, liver and kidney disease can also cause swelling. This may be associated however with a history of hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol.

There may be other symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain.

Since you have no other medical illness the most likely cause is venous disease though your doctor may still want to do blood tests to check the state of the kidney and liver.

Venous disease is treated mainly by elevating the legs at times during the course of the day by propping them up and the use of specific stockings that prevent fluid build up.

These stockings may be available at your local pharmacy or sometimes require a prescription from a doctor.

If these conservative methods do not work then surgery is an option.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions