Have pins and needles with burning sensation all over body. What is it?

I have pins and needles all over my body. It's different from what I have read from others because I feel it right in my head and in my eyes. At first I used to feel this on my knees and ankles only but now it has spread all over my body and I feel really uncomfortable when they touch my head and eyes. The sensation is burning in different parts of my body. Please, help.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible causes mentioned, request further details

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

As you have not mentioned any other medical condition that you have, there are many possibilities to be considered.

What you describe could be paresthesia. This requires complete neurological clinical examination. This can be due to problems in your sensory part of nervous system and is usually seen in diabetes.

Another cause for your symptoms can be anemia.

There might also be a neurodegenerative cause for your problems.

I suggest you send in some more additional information if possible so that I may analyse your problems in greater detail.

Waiting for an update from your end.
Hope this helps.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Have pins and needles with burning sensation all over body. What is it? 2 hours later
I have't had any exams but I am not too sure it could be diabetes. I distribute dietary supplements and I am constantly on a good dose myself. I still feel some constant pain just below my ankle between the talus and the medial malleolus. That's where it all began. Now the feeling is all over my body. It calms down a bit when I drink alkaline water but I think it is really serious
I sit at the computer for very long hours
I noticed a sensation sometimes when my hands are wet and I touch my laptop. The power cable used to be directly behind me
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clinical examination necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

The strange sensation that you experience while using your laptop with wet hands might be due to minimal current leakage, this usually occurs while using a laptop with a metal body.

Talking of your pains and pins and needles with burning sensation, there are many conditions which may have similar symptoms as I have mentioned in my earlier reply. I would like to write in some more details.

The symptoms if occurring for a short while an disappearing themselves, may have an underlying cause in the local nerve supply and any pressure on the nerves causing the symptoms. Transient symptoms may also occur in anxiety states.

If the symptoms are present for a longer period, follow a more chronic course, there are many things to be thought about.

In the elderly, emphasis should be given to conditions like peripheral vascular disease most often caused by atherosclerosis, the build up of plaque within artery walls, over decades, with eventual plaque ruptures, XXXXXXX clots over the ruptures and subsequent clot healing but leaving behind narrowing of the artery openings or closure, both locally and in downstream smaller branches.
Demyelinating diseases may also cause nerve discharges between adjacent nerve cells and lead to paresthesia.

Irritation to the nerve can also come from inflammation to the tissue. Nerves below the head may be compressed where chronic neck and spine problems exist and can be caused by, among other things, muscle cramps that may be a result of clinical anxiety or excessive mental stress and joint disease.

Therefore, it is necessary for you to get yourself examined clinically by a neurologist.

I hope this helps,
Any further queries are welcome.
Dr. A Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Have pins and needles with burning sensation all over body. What is it? 27 minutes later
The previous persistent pain was heel pain which I considered as part of my arthritis but now the arthritis is gone after I took some nutritional supplements. The pain is still there and chained up with the pins and needles. Is there a connection? What could be causing this persistent pain on my heels?
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Bone spurs are an excess growth of bone that forms on a normal bone. Bone spurs can develop on the heel (a heel spur) and are more common in people with heel pain. However, they can also occur in people without heel pain. A heel spur does not cause heel pain in everyone.

Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain, accounting for about four out of five cases. Plantar fasciitis is when the thick band of tissue that connects the heel bone with the rest of the foot (the plantar fascia) becomes damaged and thickened.

There are other less common causes which include fat pad atrophy(wasting), bursitis (inflammation of small spaces), tarsal tunnel syndrome (nerve compression).

The above possibilities need to be evaluated in you and treated for after consulting your doctor.

I hope this helps,
Any further queries are welcome.
Dr. A Rao Kavoor