Have pins and needles in head. What could it be?

ENT Specialist
Question
62 year old male.Its like pins and needles in left side of head for a month now ,head seems to be busy inside like water dribbling through constantly,WHAT CAN IT BE ,IT IS NOW BEGINNING TO WORRY ME, Thanks
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Paresthesia, neuralgia, Neurologist's opinion

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The following cndtions need to be ruled out:
a. Trigeminal Neuralgia
b. Temporal Arteritis
c. Sinusitis
d. Referred sensation
e. Stress and anxiety

2. If the origin of this paresthesia is a nerve irritation (neuralgia), the medication is different from regular anti-infammatory medications and includes amitriptyline (Tryptomer), carbamazepine (Tegretol), gabapentin and pregabalin. However, due to their possible side effects, these must be taken inder the supervision of your doctor.

3. A Neurologist may advise blood tests to rule out auto-immune, genetic checks, neck with temporal artery doppler and so on.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have pins and needles in head. What could it be? 28 minutes later
It is not Sinusitis,or referred sensation or stress & anxiety.
poss arteritis or neuralgia

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neurologist's opinion. Meds, tests, Tinnitus mgt.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. These conditions require specific blood tests, ultrasounds, doppler and imaging scans. You may consult a Neurologist who can try medical treatment for these conditions, followed by investigations if there is no response to medical treatment.

2. Both these conditions may be associated with vertigo. The sensation of water constantly dribbling through the head is most likely to be Tinnitus.

Regards.