Have pinkish red itchy skin between tailbone and anus, like scabbing. Cause?

I have a pinkish red section of skin between my tailbone and anus, very narrow with what looks like scabbing or just flaking. In addition, my anus area is red, and moist. The anus area itches, while the area from my tailbone to my anus is painful when I stretch the skin too much.

What is this? It seemed to start about two months ago.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some more details needed

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic

From your description the first thing which comes to my mind is anal fissure. It is a linear tear or crack seen on the area mentioned by you. It usually occurs in association with constipation or trauma due to passage of hard stool. Itching can be a symptom of this. Pain while stretching is a very common symptom of anal fissure.

I know it is difficult, but if you have help and will be able to take a photo and upload it will help me to confirm this.You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.

Best treatment will be to soften your stools. Increase fiber in your diet, drink plenty of water, eat bananas and even laxatives will help. You can apply vaseline ointment after passing stools to soften the skin around anus.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help.