Have pimples on face. Swelling appeared after shaving. Temporary relief from ibuprofen. Any thoughts?

Hi Doc, 2 Days ago i felt as if i had a couple pimples coming up on my face between my lip and my nose. so i had a shave and the next day that part of my face had swollen up and felt quite solid, no pain, only if i squeezed what i thought were pimples. No tingling, No Blisters, No itchiness. I took some ibuprophen and a anti histamine on the advice from the medic at work, the sweeling reduced a little. I have no history of allergies or allergic reactions.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query.

This could be caused by a bacteria such as staph. I would suggest a couple of things. First - try some warm compresses to the affected area for 5 minutes 4-5 times per day. You might also purchase a topical antibiotic cream and put a thin layer of this on the area three times a day for a few days. If this doesn't help or if it worsens you may talk to your doctor about possibly a prescription oral or topical antibiotic.

Thanks again for the query,

Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance,

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Have pimples on face. Swelling appeared after shaving. Temporary relief from ibuprofen. Any thoughts? 7 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX I have had a staph infection on my knee a few years ago. I have some CILICAINE VK phenoxymethyl penicillin left over from a tonsil infection, as i work in a very remote place i wouldnt be able to see a doctor for at least 4 more weeks, would i be ok to take these in the time being?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later
If you have at least 5 days worth of the medication it would be a reasonable start. I would try to make an appointment as well for followup just in case this does not completely resolve.

Thanks again,

Dr. G