Have pimples on face. Suggest some fast and effective treatment

Dear Dr.,

I had a big pimple on my face for the past three days and finally, I popped. The area of the pimple has gotten very infected and it is now three times the size of the pimple. What can I do to make it heal? Is there a fast solution to this problem to bring my skin back to normal? Also, will it leave a scar, and if it does, what do i do?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I can appreciate that you're dealing with a very frustrating situation. I can tell you at this point there are a couple of things you can do to help minimize the links that this issue will bother you.

I would suggest that you do warm compresses to the affected area three or four times per day for the next several days. This means a washcloth in very warm water applied to the affected area for about two or three minutes.

This will help to decrease local inflammation. Also sometimes when this type of thing happens antibiotics might improve the symptoms as well. This would be something you would need to obtain from your primary care physician.

I want to remind you that it is very important that you do not irritate the area with your hands any more. Additional manipulation of this area can cause the infection and inflammation to be more severe.

Thanks again for sending your question. Let me know if there are any additional concerns you might have regarding this matter.

Dr. Robert