Have pimples appearing on face. Have dry skin, blackheads and white heads. On T-zone. Can I use microdermabrasion?

Dec 2013

I am 24 and have little pimples occasionaly appearing on my face. I have dry skin, but i have blackheads and white heads on my T-zone. I have large pores and scars due to the pimples since teenage. Is microdermabrasion good for solving all these problems? Is there any other solution to improve my skin and make it clear?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 46 minutes later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for pimples, pores and scars. It appears from your query that you are suffering from of pimples with scars and marks which we call as "Acne with Post acne scars and pigmentation".

Acne or pimples generally appears at the age of 13-14 years, peaks at 20 years and then almost vanishes by the age of 25 years. But in certain cases it may continue to appear around the age of 25 years. This is basically due to hormones (chemicals which are influencing one or other body functions) in addition to the influence of certain other factors causing its aggravation.
The hormones plays the most important role in high oil secretion and increase the size of oil glands. As the pores or ducts of the glands are blocked so it leads to formation of pimples.

There are certain other factors such as application of oily or creamy products, over exposure to sunlight, heat and humidity or due to pinching, popping and squeezing of the pimples also leads to formation of pimples.

Once these are healing they leave the most problematic thing which are either marks or scars.
So probably you got some idea regarding your acne and pigmentation or scar problem.

There are certain suggestions which you can follow:
1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any area on face.
2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff or any other cosmetics over face.
3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also.
4. Try avoiding situations of direct continuous exposure to sunlight or heat and humidity for long hours.

Microdermabrasion is a method in which the superficial skin is polished with aluminium oxide crystals. Though it is basically a good method but not the complete method in itself to solve all the problems. You may need a particular regime designed by dermatologist including oral, topical and procedural treatment which may vary from one point to other point.

In my series of patients with your kind of problem I prefer to give certain oral medications which can present the eruptions from inside as well as topical medications to apply which act locally on skin and if needed different kind of procedures including Microdermabrasion, chemical peelings and even lasers to take care of the problem.

Above and all the best thing would be to XXXXXXX a proper dermatologist at Mumbai who can analyze your condition and then give treatment accordingly best suited for you. A long term follow is required with patience to see best results.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)