Have pigeon chest. What can I do for it?

I'm 29 and I have Pigeon chest what can I do for it?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Pigeon chest (Pectus carinatum) is caused by poorly coordinated and excessive growth of the cartilage in the rib cage. There can be various causes for this abnormality and the treatment will depend on the probable cause. Some of the causes are:
- Congenital (a birth defect)
- Due to certain genetic diseases
- Due to vitamin D deficiency
- Bone growth abnormalities or cardiac problems during childhood

In most of the cases, pigeon chest does not result in any significant medical problem and is only a cosmetic problem.

Regarding treatment, the first step is to do a proper evaluation - to find out the severity and extent of the problem and to find out if there is a specific cause that can be identified.

Further treatment can be surgical or non-surgical. Non-surgical methods involve bracing, casting, chest compressors, etc. But these non-surgical methods are more effective in children and teenagers only. Surgical methods include resection of the overgrown cartilage and repair. Minimally invasive surgical procedures like endoscopic resection are also available.

Other supportive measures like physiotherapy and posture correction can also help.

So, I would suggest that you see an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and to discuss further treatment options.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar