Have photo sensitivity, weight loss, rashes on neck and face. Do I have lupus?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have had a rash on my neck and face for a month. My elbows are red all the time. I have lost about ten pounds without trying. I have so many aches and pains. I also have photo sensitivity. Could this be lupus?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

The symptom of rash on face specially the malar region is one of the feature of systemic lupus erythmatosus (SLE).

However, there are 11 criterion for diagnosing SLE, out of which 4 should be present.
Weight loss, aches and pain are non-specific features. They can be present in other conditions also.

In order to rule out SLE you need to get some tests done.

The most specific test for SLE is presence of dsDNA antibodies in serum.
Positivity for anti dsDNA is diagnostic for SLE.

Other tests include blood test, urine test, examination of effusion fluid (if present), etc.

However, you need to visit a physician for complete general physical examination.
SLE is a systemic disease. It can involve multiple organs.
A clinical suspicion will direct your clinician to order relevant tests.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal