Have phimosis and a wart on testis and wart-like growths with puss on the genitals. How do I diagnose for balanitis? I

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
How do I diagnose if I have balanitis?
I have phimosis, and a wart (i think it is a wart) on the left testis and some very small wart-like growths with something like puss in it (similar to a pimple) on the genitals, from more than 10yrs (currently 25yrs).
What do I do?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your condition. From the description of your lesions, you are suffering from genital warts, one of which has become infected and oozing pus. In addition to this you have phimosis, which is inability of retract the foreskin. Phimosis is invariably associated with an element of balanitis because proper hygiene cannot be maintained.
For the phimosis, you should visit a surgeon and have it evaluated. If it is severe, you require circumcision. This is a minor procedure and it will correct the balanitis as well. For genital wart, you should consult a dermatologist. Thuse are caused by human papilloma virus infection and can be treated by surgery or medicines.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Have phimosis and a wart on testis and wart-like growths with puss on the genitals. How do I diagnose for balanitis? I 5 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

I am able to retract foreskin fully under normal curcumstances, although it d es not come back above easily (requires manually pulling it back in place). I am able retract till only a small opening under erection. So, to take care if Balanitis, how do i keep it clean? Can i retract under normals circumstances and clean in some way? How should clean and using what?

For phimosis, you said to see a surgeon. What type of surgeon? Any recommendations in Bangalore?

For the wart (the small ones come and go , but the large one has never gone), can i see any dermatologist? Any recommendations in Bangalore?

Finally, is there any way i can grt this diagnosed properly on XXXXXXX without physically visitint a doctor? Maybe by sending required samples, etc.?

Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later
Dear Sir,

You can keep it clean by retracting the skin during bathing and cleaning it properly. Just soap and water is enough to clean the area. Please do not use any antiseptic agents as they can cause intense burning in that area.
If you are unable to retract the skin during an erection, it is better that you get yourself operated.
Any surgeon can perform circumcision and I usually do not name any particular surgeons. It is a minor procedure done under local anesthesia.
Again I will not be able to tell you about any particular dermatologist but the treatment of genital warts is uniform and any dermatologist would do.
Unfortunately, there is no way to send you sample through XXXXXXX and certainly no way to get diagnosed without physical examination.

Hoping for the best.

Follow-up: Have phimosis and a wart on testis and wart-like growths with puss on the genitals. How do I diagnose for balanitis? I 33 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your reply.

Which should I get treated first, phimosis or the warts?

How long does it take to return to normalcy from both these treatments? Is there any long term permanent repercussions from these diseases?

Any side effects from both these treatments?

I have read a lot of places that do not suggest surgery for phimosis, is there an alternative to treat phimosis without surgery?

Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 5 hours later
Dear Sir,

Both can be treated simultaneously. Non surgical management of phimosis includes just maintaining proper hygiene, but because you are having problems retracting the skin when the penis is erect, it can lead to problems during intercourse and it is better you get it operated.
It is a day care procedure and you can resume normal activities from the very next day. There are no appreciable side effects of either of the treatments. Surgery can cause some soreness which persists for a few days but does not hamper daily activities.
Phimosis can lead to recurrent infections which can be troublesome. Really long term consequences of both the conditions is penile cancer.

I hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to clarify any other query.