Have persistent swollen ankles for a long time. What treatment should be done?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have had swollen ankels for a very long time i ask my doctor about it but she never seems worried i think they look terrible and my friends always comment on the swelling they look puffy most of the time
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

Persistent swollen ankles for a long time need to be investigated.
Occasional ankle swelling especially after prolonged hanging of lower limb (as during travelling) is a common occurrence.

However, persistent swelling is due to some disease process - swollen ankles is one symptom of heart disease, thyroid disorder and renal problem/liver problem.

So, consult your physician for clinical examination and relevant investigations which may include a X-ray chest, ECG, Echo, etc. depending on the clinical features.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shialja P Wahal