Have persistent stinging, prickly like pain on forearm, burns like rash and itches. Cause?

I have a very persistent stinging, pin prickly like pain on my right forearm. It started from working in juniper shrubs, but has gone on for about six weeks. Only a small one inch strip, maybe four inches long. Usually is worse in late evening, and sometimes is excruciating... Like tonight. Has kept me awake for hours! Feels like I'm being stabbed with needles. Feels better when I rub it, but then gets more irritated. I'd love to have a remedy. Has seemingly been a little better lately, but tonight is far worse than ever!
In addition... It also burns, like a rash, but really hardly shows anymore. In fact, even with all the irritation, it looks pretty normal.

Thanks in advance,
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

So you do not see an obvious rash (not scratch), is it? If there is rash an allergy to the shrubs is likely. Such a case benadryl lotion helps.

I also hear abnormal sensations are commonly felt on the body without rash as a reaction to the stress. If there is no visible rash most likely a inner allergic reaction simply an anxiety reaction. Some call it a stressful reaction especially if one spends sleep less night. It also reminds me of notalgia parasthetica.

You can apply Benadryl lotion or Sarna over it and sleep well.
Follow-up: Have persistent stinging, prickly like pain on forearm, burns like rash and itches. Cause? 4 hours later
Thank you for the answer. I do not believe there is any chance that anxiety is likely, as I have little stress, and that never has been a problem. Even though my arm shows little effect, it seems to act like an allergic reaction, but it almost seems to have symptoms of shingles. I have not lost any sleep until last night, as it seemingly was getting better.

What has helped most is a shampoo containing coal tar. I've tried everything I can, except benadryl lotion. It seems to possibly be affecting the nerves under the skin, if that is possible. I have spent hours looking online for answers, but have mainly concentrated on the juniper allergy, as the original cause. Since last night, it is burning more than is has in the past. I've seen that juniper reactions act like poison ivey sometimes, but the reaction lasts only a few days to a week or so. This has gone on for about six weeks!
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eczema or Atopic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

If Coal tar preparations work then it could be Atopic dermatitis which is an XXXXXXX allergy as mentioned in my previous reply. It has redness over the skin. Coal tar works by removing the top layer of the skin and shed its cell and reduce the growth of new layers. However ultimately we need to understand the XXXXXXX allergen.

I suggest you to see a Dermatologist for thorough work up. Benadryl is a good option to explore till the time you see a Dermatologist.
Follow-up: Have persistent stinging, prickly like pain on forearm, burns like rash and itches. Cause? 59 minutes later
Thanks, that seems very logical. Because it started as an allergy, it seems it must be XXXXXXX and very persistent. One more question however:. Close to the time this began, I fell against a tree playing golf, when I stepped in a hole. I XXXXXXX my neck. Could missalignment of the neck aggravate the condition? Tonight I'm experiencing some numbness in my other arm, and back and neck pain. Could subluxation be causing the nerves to exacerbate the condition? I know my neck is out somewhat, and I need an adjustment. Maybe that will speed the healing.

I use a low force chiropractor, with a degree from Basteur. She's quite good. I just didn't connect the possible relationship until now. Does it seem possible?

Thanks Dr.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cervical spine Xray both views

Detailed Answer:
Numbness in the arm may or may not be related with the injury to the neck. It is been 6 weeks and sudden appearance of numbness is unlikely because of neck injury.

Continue the traction with the chiro. On the safe side it would be ideal to get an evaluation done and an Xray cervical spine under both the views. That reveals the matter for subluxation.