Have persistent dry lips. Having white rings around corner. Feel uncomfortable. Remedy?

Hi Dr.,
I have had persistent dry lips for the past two months. I had an extra layer of skin I recently rubbed off but underneath is still very wrinkly. I also have a white ring around the corners and bottom of my lip that is very uncomfortable in public. I'm well hydrated and don't know what else to do. Please tell me the fastest way to get rid of this. Thanks.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apply good quality lip moisturizer.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through the image uploaded.
The condition can be actinic cheilitis, candidiasis ,xerotic cheilitis perlesche etc.
The best thing to do would be to apply a good quality moisturizer 3-4 times a day over lips.Various lip moisturizers are available in market over the counter they contain moisturizers and sunscreen elements.

I would to know the following details. It can help me determine the most close possibility-
Do you have fever in past two months?
Is the white ring on corners of the mouth persistent or it goes away?
Is there any history of vesicular lesions or herpes labialis arounf mouth?
Are you on any prescription drugs?
Do you smoke?

Answer the above questions and we can continue the discussion here.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for further clarification.
Follow-up: Have persistent dry lips. Having white rings around corner. Feel uncomfortable. Remedy? 38 minutes later
I have not had a fever. The white ring is persistent. I have not had any problems previously around the mouth. I'm not on prescription drugs. And I smoke occasionally. Hope this helps. Thanks doc.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of cheilitis.lip moisturizer applicatn

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Thanks for the details.
The condition appears to be cheilitis only.It can be confirmed only after physical examination.For such patients visiting in my clinic I suggest application of lip balms which contain ingredients such as XXXXXXX butter, vitamin E ,jojoba, sunscreen etc.Twice or thrice application per day is sufficient.Along with it I prescribe multivitamin and minerals tablets to be taken orally.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for any further clarification.
Follow-up: Have persistent dry lips. Having white rings around corner. Feel uncomfortable. Remedy? 13 hours later
I've done some research of my own and the most accurate form of cheilitis that I have is actinic cheilitis. What is the best home remedy for this and what is the expected time frame that it will heal? I have just applied an antibacterial/fungal cream with aloe moisturizer and that seems to be working. What do you suggest because this is the worst thing ever out in public and is leading to me becoming isolated because of the attention my lips get.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Maintain sunprotection, continue moisturizer

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
As you already know actinic cheilitis is aggravated by sun exposure so you should maintain strict sunprotection. Also continue with aloe based moisturizer .A time frame of 2-3 weeks should be enough for complete recovery. As you are feeling better by use of cream you should continue it till recovery.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
If you are satisfied with the answer ,please accept the answer at the end and rate it.