Have persistent cough and started sweating. Feeling dizzy after taking antibiotics. Any relief?

Jan 2013

I have a perstistant cough and now I'm sweating what could it be Ive had this cough for about 8 weeks now I've been to the doctor who has given me antibiotics but they didn't work and I also feel dizzy and fatique with it
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 28 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with cough.
Do you have fever/ running nose/ sneezing with throat pain?
Since how long are you suffering from cough?
At what time cough is severe? whether whole day or night times.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of Acute viral bacterial infection and possibly persistent source of infection.
Presence of cough along with history of 8 weeks suggests the diagnosis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and ENT surgeon simultaneously and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and chest x XXXXXXX
Chest x XXXXXXX is mandatory to rule out possibly lower respiratory tract infection and tubercular infection (as cough is persisting more than 2 weeks).
You should take complete antibiotics therapy (to prevent secondary bacterial infection), mucolytics and decongestants.
You should also take cough suppressants.
Sometimes these viral infection may also cause bronchitis with onset of severe coughing.
Clinical examination makes clear the use of bronchodilators.

You should avoid cold drinks, oily food and yogurt.
Perform gargles three times in day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.

As such there is no correlation between history of insomnia, panic attacks, migraine and present symptoms.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Have persistent cough and started sweating. Feeling dizzy after taking antibiotics. Any relief? 5 minutes later
I don't have any pain with the cough and although it has settled down through the night I am coughing during the day but I'm sweating with it now and I just don't feel well in general with it so should I go back to my doctors then
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 minutes later
You should again consult with your treating doctor and should go for throat swab for culture & sensitivity.
You should take antibiotics therapy on empirical basis.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava