Have periodic excruciating thoracic pain at the spine just below scapula. Suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I have periodic excruciating thoracic pain, only relieved by time and lying with support under area of pain , which concentrates at the spine just below bottom of scapula.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The pain, as you have described, is suggestive of radicular pain, arising from compression of the nerves in the cervical region (neck region).

In addition to gabapentin, pregabalin and duloxetine are other useful medications to treat this pain of neuropathic nature.

If pain does not get relieved with medications and physiotherapy, epidural injections may be useful in some cases.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Have periodic excruciating thoracic pain at the spine just below scapula. Suggestion? 12 minutes later
Thank you for the medication suggestions. This is really helpful since my MD says pharmacy says that the gabapentin is at the highest dose allowed. (I am treated by the VA and they have their special limits on meds.) Again, thank you so much.
sincerely,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you.

I agree with your MD regarding the dose of gabapentin, and you should not take any more of that.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)