Have pericarditis and RA. Had steroids and anti inflammatories. Taking ibuprofen. Still in pain. Suggest?

Hi I have acute pericarditis 4 3 months now , caused by viral infection and rheumatoid arthritis , treatment included steroids and anti inflammtories , completed course of steroids , still in pain , very depressed and fatigued , taking ibuprofen 3 times a day , I have a holiday booked 4 3 wks time , have had conflicting advice about flying , can I fly with my pericarditis and if not why ? Thank you .
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 26 minutes later

Thanks for your concerns. As long as you don't have evidence of tamponade physiology (too much fluid in the pericardium causing low blood pressure, shock, tachycardia) and only residual pain, it is likely that a flight or traveling won't affect you; nevertheless, I would book an appointment with your cardiologist for clearance prior to the trip. Also, I would like you to ask him specifically if colchicine, low dose, is an option for you; several studies now (CORP, CORE, etc) have shown that low dose colchicine helps with resolution of the pain and decreased the recurrences of acute pericarditis in a significant way.

Hope this is helpful, wish you the best,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Have pericarditis and RA. Had steroids and anti inflammatories. Taking ibuprofen. Still in pain. Suggest? 6 minutes later
Thank u 4 ur quick reply , have never actually been seen by a cardiologist , just my rheumatology consultant and my gp, even though I was hospitalized with my pericarditis , consultant doesn't advise I fly , GP says it's ok 2 fly , very confused at the moment ,

I don't see from the history you have told me any evidence of current decompensated heart failure or tamponade physiology that would preclude travelling, but since it is mainly a "clinical diagnosis" in which vital signs and physical examination are so important, perhaps you should see a cardiologist prior to travelling; the colchicine issue, although it may seem as a "nuissance", I think it has a growing robust evidence that it helps in patients with you condition.

Best regards