Have penile inflammation with rep bumps, also had hives and sore bumps in tongue. STD test negative except HSV1

I have penile inflammation with rep bumps, I have taken STD testing, all the result are negative except HSV1 (attached test information). I had recurring inflammation on my penis foreskin for last few months and I also had hives for last 2 months. Both are happening first time to me. I'm on strong diet for last few months because of hives and also lost some weight. I have some sore and bump in my tongue as well.

I visited my primary physician , he gave me anti-fungal cream to try for two weeks and I'm not sure it helps or make its worse. I have a girl friend and as far as I know we are in one - one sexual relationship, we don't have any other partners, we never had sex with anyone else.
I worried and depressed lately about it a lot. Find the attached picture and report for further information.

I like to know what type of infection it is, is it herpes on genital or some other infection?.

Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Hope I am able to help you for the same.

I have gone through your pictures and your reports.
You seem to be having recurrent episodes of herpes genitalis. Now herpes presents with recurrent episodes of development of vesicular lesions, which further leads to development of erosions, which are seen as red areas of skin discontinuity.
Sometimes the vesicular phase is very short lived and passes out unnoticed and this is what is happening in your case.
As far as I can make out, you are having these lesions mainly over the left side of penis.
Now in your reports, you have anti HSV 1antibody positive. HSV 1 usually leads to infections involving the areas above the waist although this is not necessary.
You should clean the affected area with lukewarm saline water twice a day and then apply a topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin gel over the area.
You will also need a course on oral antiviral like acyclovir thrice a day.
These are certain things that you should be aware of. Such episodes tend to recurrent. Any kind of physical, emotional stress, fever, intake of alcohol can lead to recurrent episodes. Try to avoid these triggering agents as much as possible. In addition, avoid any kind of contact with partner when there are active lesions.
Such recurrences can occur four to six times in a year and every time they need to treated.

Hope it help
If you have any other query, I will be happy to answer.

Wishing you speedy recovery
Dr Geetika Paule
Follow-up: Have penile inflammation with rep bumps, also had hives and sore bumps in tongue. STD test negative except HSV1 1 hour later
Thanks for the answer, Is it possible to get genital herpes in one to one relationship? Just wondering how I might got it, if my partner doesn't have it. ?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 43 minutes later

I can understand your concern regarding your query but there are certain things I want you to be aware about.
The suspected etiological agent in your case is HSV1 most probably.
Now this virus usually causes oral lesions and it is typically spread simply by the kind of social kiss that a relative gives a child. So just anyone can get this transmitted to oral cavity.
You seem to have developed genital lesions due to oral HSV, which is seen in many patients. Such infection of genitals by HSV1 can occur due to oral sex with someone having HSV1 oral infection or through sexual contact. In addition, oral HSV1 is very very common.
Therefore, I hope I have addressed your query now.

Please tell me if there is something else also bothering you.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Have penile inflammation with rep bumps, also had hives and sore bumps in tongue. STD test negative except HSV1 2 hours later
Thanks for the further clarification, just a question regarding the medicine acyclovir, do I have to continue taking these medicine forever? just during few months of the breakout?

Does HSV1 can lead into any potential XXXXXXX disease in future for me ? like HIV?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 15 minutes later

You have to take weekly courses of acyclovir only during the breakouts of the disease. Usually this therapy is in the form of 400 mg tablet thrice daily for a week starting from the first day of the appearance of lesions. And has to be repeated each time there is a recurrence. Timely initiation of the drug helps in reducing further recurrences, so it is essential to take the complete course each time.

And there is no similarity between HSV and HIV. HSV basically causes recurrences which can last for a week's time depending on the treatment. A person is contagious only during the time he/she has lesions.In between, the virus goes and resides in a ganglion. So it has no effect on the overall immune status of the affected person and it does not make the person prone to developing other diseases. So there is nothing really that you should be worried about.

The only thing one should take care is that during the time you have active lesions, you should either avoid any sexual contact or use adequate barrier contraception. As any kind of ulcers/erosions over the genitalia makes a person more prone to acquisition of other STD's including HIV as the chances of transmission from the partner through the eroded area are increased.

Hope that clarifies your query

Dr Geetika Paul