Have peeling fingertips. Applied hand cream. Could it be keratolysis?

I have had for many years something similar to Keratolysis. I don't think my case is acually keratolysis but years ago a Dermatologist diagnosed my condition as peeling of the fingertips. When I wet or wash my hands it makes my fingers soft and the skin peels. I pick at the skin and bite my nails and skin also which makes it worse. Little cuts are formed and my fingertips never seem to heal. At bedtime I put some handcream on my hands and put on thin latex gloves to sleep in. This seems to help some but dos not clear anything up. I think I need something very strong over the counter or possibly a prescription. I've tried a lot of different hand lotions and creams but nothing is strong enough to completely heal my fingertips and prevent them from peeling. Water seems to be bad for my condition but you,have to wash your hands all the time so there i no way of avoiding this. Can you recommend something strong that is over the counter or shouild I go see a dermatologist?
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 24 minutes later

I will be glad to be of assistance.

I can understand your concern.

I would recommend the application of mometasone furoate cream daily at night on the fingers.

This will help in resolving the peeling.

You will need a prescription for it from your dermatologist.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Please let me know if I can address any additional concerns for you.

Follow-up: Have peeling fingertips. Applied hand cream. Could it be keratolysis? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your quick response. One question. Do I need to wear the latex gloves with the mometasone furoate cream while sleeping or just use it at bedtime without the gloves?
One question I forgot. Is there any cream that I can buy at my local CVS, Wal-Green or Wal-Mart would be strong enough to enough to resolve the peeling?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 4 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

You don't need to wear latex gloves. Just apply the cream and go to bed.

There is nothing over the counter that is strong enough, you can keep using an over the counter moisturizer like Vaseline thrice a day.

Hope this helps.