Have pectus excavatum, vibration in heart. Echocardiogram showed mild to moderate murmur. Cause for concern?

Jan 2013

I have mild pectus excavatum and at times I can feel my heart beat and at the same time it makes a vibration sound. I had an echocardiogram done and found I have a mild to moderate murmur. Is this something that is cause for concern?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 21 minutes later
You are suffering from palpitation (feeling of heart beat) and it is essential to find the cause.
Palpitation may be due to heart problem or may be due to hormonal problems.
Do you have fever/ increased sweating/ watery shit/ weight loss?
Do you have squeezing sensation/ sweating/ difficulty in respiration/ respiratory difficulties with change of posture/ swelling in feet ?
Have you undergone thyroid profile/ serum electrolytes/ ECG for heart previously?
You should consult with physician / cardiologist and should go for following investigations: complete blood count, serum electrolytes, thyroid profile, renal function test, epinephrine, norepinephrine and urianry VMA level, ECG, 2 D echo and coronary angiography if needed.
Palpitation may be cardiac problems such as VPCs, APC, PSVT, Junctional rhythm, ventricular bigeminy and trigeminy. These heart diseases may be diagnosed by ECG and holter monitoring for 48-72 hours. If still not helpful then you can go for electro-physiological studies of heart.
With pectus excavatum, there may be shifting of heart with compression on heart.
There may be defect in conductive system of heart. This can be detected by electro-physiological studies of heart.
Hormonal disorders may be thyroid disorders and pheochromocytoma.
If all investigations are normal, then there may be possibilities of panic attacks. In such conditions you should consult with psychiatrist.
Put your views also.
With wishes of speedy recovery,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava