Have pea sized lump next to thigh near labia. It is hard with dull ache. Suggest?

Mar 2013
Hi, I have a pea sized lump next to my inner right thigh, right where it meets to outside of my labia. It is hard and doesnt really move around much, It was not sorem but now that I have been touching it, there is a dull ache. It is not visible, I can only feel it.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

What you have described sounds very much like a boil to me. The dampness and sweating in the fold and crease where thigh meets labia makes this area more prone to boil and infections. Infected sweat gland / hair follicle or an enlarged lymph node is the second close possibility that I would think off in such cases.

At this instance, I would suggest you not to handle the lesion with bare hands. It can turn into an abscess if the infection spreads. Avoid friction to the area, do not wear allergic or wet undergarments. Keep the area dry and clean. Do not rub, scratch or douche vigorously. Avoid use of nylon undergarments, tampons, latex condoms, toilet paper, medicated soaps and cleansers.

You can use locally applied Neosporin powder, as it is antibacterial, and will keep the area dry. Observe the lump for a day or two. Most often boils responds to this type of treatment, however if they persists or if the lump increases in size / pain worsens or if you develop new symptoms, visit your gynecologist for evaluation to rule out spreading infection / small benign tumors.

Take care, and please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Have pea sized lump next to thigh near labia. It is hard with dull ache. Suggest? 7 hours later
This lump is very definately deep under the skin. I doubt that topical applications would make any difference. My epxerience in the past with boils is that the form a noticable lump, and that they are painful. Equally, it is not an infected hair follicle, as there is no disturbance to the surface of the skin. This small hard pea sized lump isn't noticeable, and can only be found by feel. I don't think this diagnosis of boil or infected hair follicle is correct. Could it be something else?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
It very much sounds like a lymph node in that scenario.
As you said its not very much visible, I doubt that a photo uploaded by you also would be of much help.
Sometimes, due to local infection, the draining nearby lymph nodes get enlarged as a reactionary measure, and they become palpable.
Normally, lymph nodes are not palpable ( they cannot be felt ), they become palpable only when infected .
There is no major cause for concern here, as it would automatically subside in some days, as the nodes drain off infection.
If it persists, or grows, you need to see your doctor.
Maintaining meticulous perineal hygiene would help.