Have pea size ball under hip and is movable. What could it be?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My 19 year old daughter just found a hard pea sized ball under her skin by her right doesn't feel like it's securely attached to anything because we can push it around. She is a competitive swimmer and works her body hard and is on her way to a 4 day swim XXXXXXX and we were hoping for some guidance before she heads out.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 25 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for the query.

If there is no pain, swelling or redness around this lumo then it will be benign subcutaneous lesion and most commonly in this area we see lipomas and traumatic fibromas. Other diagnoses can be ateromas or swollen lymph node.
If she doesnt notice symptoms I ve mentioned above then you dont have to be worried. It can pass spontaneously in few weeks or it can be removed surgically under local anasthesia.
SOme rare,but more serious diagnoses should be considered if there is rapid growth, pain or skin ulcer above it. In this case ultrasound with needle biopsy should be performed. WIsh you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Have pea size ball under hip and is movable. What could it be? 21 minutes later
Thank you so much for your quick response! I thought about the lymph nodes and I know there are nodes in that area. What's interesting is she has a spider bite on that side of her body at the top of her leg that is red and and irritating her so I was wondering if that had something to do with it. She was very worried and immediately thought the worst!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later

Ofcourse it can be due to spider bite. Even far lymph nodes in inguinal and thigh area can be swollen after such bites or any other infection. There is definitely no any sign which can indicate something serious or some malignancy. So I am sure this something that I ve mentioned above.

Just watch for some new signs or fever, headache,bone pain etc which can suggest systemic infection.