Have pcos and mitral valve prolapse. Unable to bend thumb. What could be causing this?

Hi, I am a female born with a left thumb that won't bend at the joint nearest the nail. It also has no creases. All of my other digets are completely normal including my right thumb. I was told there is a joint there but likely lacking a tendon to allow the joint to move. I am of Anglo-Saxon/Italian descent. What kind of birth defect or other congenital condition could this be linked to. I have also learned I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and feet twisted and had to wear a brace to straighten it until he was 2 or 3. My mother was a smoker but claims she didnt smoke or drink during the pregnancies. However, I grew up around second hand smoke from both parents until I moved out at 22.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for your question,
I am afraid this might not be linked to polycystic ovarian disease nor Smoking and alcohol usually produce a quite different spectrum of anomalies, and when present, they are bilateral (on both sides).
Possibilities for that malformation could either be a mechanical/traumatic problem during birth rather than a chromosomal or genetic disease. It really rare that its a genetic or chromosomal malformation.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Have pcos and mitral valve prolapse. Unable to bend thumb. What could be causing this? 7 hours later
I was born without a tendon at that joint and no creases like the other digits, so Im not sure what you mean by mechanical or traumatic problem? Oddly enough my brother had a club foot that required a brace to straighten. Just seems more than coincidental that we both would have musculoskeletal problems at birth. Do you think there is a connection whether it be environmental or genetic?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 30 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
I am happy with the enlightenment you just brought with respect to the family history. In some cases, clubfoot is just the result of the position of the baby while it is developing in the mother's womb. In your case, I think it should a combination of
a combination of genetic and environmental factors that is not well understood. But however for clubfoot,if someone in your family has clubfoot, then it is more likely to occur in your infant. If your family has one child with clubfoot, the chances of a second infant having the condition increase.
Rare associations are described like these conditions being more common in males than females, common in parents with diabetes and obesity than the general population and spinia bifida.
But this is not your case here. As I said, I think there is an interplay of both environmental and genetic factors. But, scientists have not succeeded to pinpoint exactly, whats actually causes it.
Thanks and best regards,
Feel free asking any follow up questions if need be, will be honored making suggestions and helping.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Have pcos and mitral valve prolapse. Unable to bend thumb. What could be causing this? 11 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Bain! I just want to fully understand you. Are you saying there is a connection of some sort between my deformed thumb and my brother having been born with a club foot?
Also, I should mention that my parents said as soon as I was born that I started sucking my thumb. The thumb that is deformed. I never sucked the other one. The doctors had a theory that I may have been sucking it in the womb. Any connection do you think? Just trying to give you any factors that would be relevant.
Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
as earlier mentioned, I am convinced that in your case, this somehow be actually a genetic or congenital malformation. I think is something mechanical too. Its not excluded that what the doctors said was true, and its not also rare to have deformation from excessive sucking of the thumb. It s a rare situation though to produce a deformity of this magnitude, but still a possibility.
I think its a traumatic or mechanical source and sucking could be one of the causes. Genetics and congenital malformations are really other causes to consider.
But been scared of this, or risk of a close relation getting same condition is not really supposed to be a worry.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.