Have pcod. Missing period, started spotting, feeling nausea and fatigue. HPT negative. Underlying cause?

Mar 2013
I am 30 year old married lady, have PCOD nad have no kids as of now... my periods were due on 9th Feb, but have not yet got my periods. But getting some spotting since 8th... have nausea and fatigue... took a urine pregnancy test today morning which came out negative... what culd be the reason for spotting?
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 16 minutes later

ovary-syndrome/0000" >PCOD is a condition of hormonal imbalance, where the ovary is studded with multiple small follicles, and there is imbalance of reproductive hormones and androgens.
Patients with PCOD have irregular periods, delayed periods, scanty periods, difficulty in ovulation and hence difficulty in conception also.
Along with menstrual and ovulatory dysfunction such patients may have other features like acne, hirsutism, darkening of the skin of the armpits and groin, insulin resistance leading to deranged blood sugars etc.

Most probably, the cause of your spotting and irregular periods is your PCOD itself, as it is notorious for causing scanty bleeding and irregular periods.

I would urge you to consult an expert Gynecologist or a Fertility specialist if you have been trying to conceive since long.

The mainstay of treatment of PCOD is weight loss, exercise and diet modification, even a five percent reduction in body weight tends to regularise menstrual bleeding.

You should have total laboratory assessment including hormones like FSH, LH, TSH, SHBG, DHEAS, prolactin and glucose tolerance test etc. A pelvic ultrasound is a must. Drugs like metformin are often prescribed to PCOD patients to improve the hormonal profile. You might need the aid of ovulation inducing drugs or injections in order to conceive if investigations indicate that you are not ovulating properly.

Conditions like stress, anxiety, emotional disturbances, weight gain, irregular eating and sleeping habits, frequent travelling and thyroid disorders would worsen the irregular periods seen in PCOD patients.

Please consult the relevant specialist and have a complete work up and treatment of PCOD , as that is the cause of your spotting and irregular period.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.