Have patches on arm and hands. Had blisters with clear liquids, increasing and now red patches. Suggest?

Dec 2012

I noticed large patches on an acquaintance's arm and hands... there were several of them and he stated they had spread over the last few days. He also stated they were initially blisters that popped and had clear liquid inside. They are now large (approx 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in length and about a 1/2 inch across) reddish purple odd shaped patches that appear to be under the skin and are not going away...they look similar to what elderly people get but much larger and deeper color. In case it helps, he's 35 and works in pest control although wears protective clothing while at work. What could this be and what would it be caused by?
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The most likely cause is a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Per your description, it seems to me that your acquaintance has been affected by a fungal skin infection or dermatophyte but another possibility is a chemical burn or viral infection. She might have been exposed some how to an infection or a chemical. If infection, then given your description it might not be contagious given the specific localization of the lesions in arm and hands. Most infectious skin diseases that can contaminate others, usually affect the entire body even though some viral infections can affect only certain areas of the skin. It will be wise to avoid close contact with the affected areas until she can XXXXXXX up with a dermatologist or doctor who can examined and determine the actual cause, then maybe provide some medications.
If you are able to get some pictures, I will not mind taking a look at them.

Hope this helps and wish you both the best.
Dr. Nsah