Have parkinsons, had fall with rib pain. Told to be fracture and asked to rest. Have popping feeling

Question
hi I have parkinsons and fall quite often recently i took a pretty hard fall and hurt a rib. my doctor said it was most likely fractured or severely bruised. He said he could xray it but the treatment would be the same rest. It has been about 3 weeks now and seems to get better then I sneeze and it really hurts and I seem to have to deal with increased pain symptoms for a day or so after. Lately I noticed that I get a popping feeling when I move twisting or getting up from bed. the fracture is on my left side back towards my spine

thanks for the help
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 25 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for asking.

Rib fractures are not usually not treated with fixation or binding as there is a risk of under inflation of the lung because of constant pressure by the binder/fixator.

Mostly they are left alone for self healing , if you are experiencing increased pain and popping , you can go for Xray if the chest to rule out any potential injury to lung parenchyma.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Follow-up: Have parkinsons, had fall with rib pain. Told to be fracture and asked to rest. Have popping feeling 15 hours later
Mostly I was wondering about the popping feeling as it seems to be new. I don't know why I am getting the popping feeling. what causes this?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ribs

Detailed Answer:
It may very well be a minor rib fracture, get an Xray to confirm the diagnosis.

Follow-up: Have parkinsons, had fall with rib pain. Told to be fracture and asked to rest. Have popping feeling 10 hours later
I read on several articles on the web that the popping is caused by rib separation not the fracture itself and has a different treatment protocol using a band to hold the soft tissue in place. Would this show up on an xray?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not Used these days

Detailed Answer:
Banding is not used these days because of pulmonary complications. Any separation or break can be seen on Xrays, so go for x XXXXXXX chest AP view .