Have parkinson disease, put on azilect and the adverse reactions were severe. Allergic to risperdal

i have parkinson disease as part of my pill taking my doctor put me on azilect and the adverse reactions were severe i have not taken it since 0430 but i still have bad ymptoms effects and also i am alergic to risperdal, chould i have been prescribed that medicine
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

There are many other treatment options available for Parkinson s disease. However, prescription of a particular drug takes into consideration the history of failure to respond to other drugs, whether one is being put on treatment for the first time, other drugs the patient might be taking, drug availability in a given setting and the other chronic diseases the patient might have.

I suggest your doctor must have taken all these into consideration before prescribing the drugs. Other drugs like L - DOPA derivatives and Dopamine agonists are generally used. Mono amine Oxidase inhibitors have more frequent side effects.

I will highly suggest you revisit your physician rather than getting a prescription for two reasons:

1. Treatment options take into consideration a detailed medical history, actual drugs taken and other conditions present

2. Needs monitoring by your physician to measure success or failure of treatment, and modify or change drug doses if need be.

I strongly suggest you book an appointment with your neurologist for reevaluation and management.

It would be advisable to suspend actual treatment if the adverse reactions are actually that severe.

Best regards and do not hesitate asking further questions if need be,

Bain LE, MD.