Have paresthesia. MRI brain scan showed normal. Getting tingling sensation all over body. Worrisome

I have parathesia which is annoying and frightening, I had an MRI brain scan in 2010 and no lesions were found or anything else. Why do I keep getting random tingling sensations all over me?
I have tingling on different parts of my face, legs, feet, toes, hands and scalp.
My skin has been itchy lately but I cannot see an obvious cause,
I also have a dry mouth most of the time.
I have occasional nausea and have vomited after eating a small meal.
I am overweight,

Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
I read your question with diligence. Here is list of causes of paresthesias and X against the cause means that on clinical and investigative ground it can be excluded.

Orthopedic causes of paresthesia

Paresthesia may also occur from moderate to serious orthopedic conditions that injure or damage the nerves, including:
• Back or neck injury X

• Bone fractures or a cast that is too tight X

• Degenerative disk disease X

• Herniated disk X

• Nerve entrapment or nerve pressure such as from Osteoporosis possibility still needs to be kept

Neurological causes of paresthesia
Paresthesia can be the result of a variety of disorders and diseases that damage the nerves, including:
• Alcoholism X

Arteriovenous malformation (tangled knot of arteries and veins that press against
the spinal cord) X

• Brain tumor X

Diabetic neuropathy (nerve or blood vessel damage due to high blood sugar levels
associated with diabetes) .. You are overweight a Fasting Blood Sugar and HbA1c
needs to be done.

• Encephalitis (inflammation of the brain due to a viral or bacterial infection) X

• Heavy metal poisoning such as lead poisoning X

• Multiple sclerosis (disease that affects the brain and spinal cord) X

Peripheral neuropathy (disorder of the peripheral nerves from your spinal cord)
Can not be excluded at this stage.

Spinal cord injury or tumor X

•Stroke X

Transient ischemic attack (temporary stroke-like symptoms that may be a
warning sign of an impending stroke) X

Transverse myelitis (neurological disorder causing inflammation of the spinal cord)
( A detailed neurological examination will exclude it.
Vitamin B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia) A peripheral blood picture and
serum vitamin B12 can exlclude or include this possibility.

I will urge to you see your doctors so that a complete neurological examination with few tests can be done. If we are able to exclude this comprehensive list then symptomatic treatment can be given and your doctor is the best person to prescribe medicine. If you have any other query, I will be happy to answer.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW