Have paralyzed vocal chord. Had horrendous sinus infection followed by pneumonia after surgery. Other treatment?

ENT Specialist
I have a paralyzed vocal chord. I have had the surgery to fill the chord with a substance to make it work again. It lasted about 2 & 1/2 months. Immediately after the surgery, I had an horrendous sinus infection followed by pneumonia. .Subsequently, I have had about three trips to the doctor because of infected sinuses, in the past 9 months. My MD x-rays my sinuses on each triip and prescribes medication. My voice is gone again, and I am at that breathy state.. My question is: Is there any other treatments available to me?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Type I Thyroplasty, plain Sinus CT, Laryngoscopy

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If the vocal cord paralysis is not expected to recover or if no cause has been discovered, you may consider a Type I Thyroplasty after a year or so of this vocal cord paralysis having occurred.

2. This surgery can be done under local anesthesia. There are a number of types of prosthesis that can be used to medialize the paralyzed vocal cord and restore a good voice.

3. The vocal fold filler gels and pastes do not last more than a few months.

4. Get a plain Sinus CT done. It will help treat your sinusitis better.

5. If you can upload a video of your laryngoscopy, it will be easier to suggest treatment. Your speech therapist's evaluation notes may also help.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.